Honesty breeds trust, and trust builds referrals.
Dr. Samantha Slotnick has a reputation within the field of Behavioural Optometry that just might be impossible to match. Considered a preeminent thought leader within our profession, her insights into the splendour of our visual system have landed her in front of engaged audiences across the world. A clinician, business owner, international lecturer and researcher – she has the unique ability to connect with anyone who has even a passing interest in our field.
For anyone outside of the Behavioural Optometry field, I need to start by saying this conversation is anything but a dry delve into Optometric terminology. Dr. Slotnick was kind enough to really open up and shared with us her philosophies on life, business and one of her true passions outside of the clinic – dance.
My Top 5 Takeaways:
- Dance offers the liberating opportunity to let go, to step out of the role of leader, to be present in the current moment and to learn not to cut off opportunity or potential by trying to guess where someone is going to go.
- The gift of writing gives one the ability to talk with yourself across time. Your future self can evaluate who you were and most importantly, how far you’ve come.
- It can be important to find ways to mentally separate yourself from the entity that is your business. When you do this, it allows your team to feel more empowered and open to offer unfiltered and honest suggestions.
- The safest way to build agreement is to begin with straightforward comments or statements that are global enough that people won’t take major issue with them. Don’t delve into specifics until you’ve earned both the right and trust to do so.
- It’s important to suspend full closure on concepts in order to leave yourself mobile as you build what should be an ever-evolving model of vision.