Dr. Shirley Ha is one of those people that almost everyone enjoys chatting with and spending time around. A true unifier in the world of Vision Therapy – she very much lives and breathes the essence of collaboration encouraged by this podcast.
Much of our conversation delved into learning more about what I consider to be two of Shirley’s superpowers – quality communication skills and unwavering altruism. She has worked and contributed to more boards than I can keep track of (a true “board-ophile” as we discuss) and always seems to maintain an incredible attitude in spite of the immense work sent her way. Shirley’s perspective on volunteerism and the multiplying returns that it will create within one’s life was truly inspiring and well worth listening to over and over again.
Naturally, Shirley and I also spend some time going into the history of Vision Therapy in Canada and what it means to be all-in as a provider of this wonderful service.
My Top 5 Takeaways:
- You are always selling yourself in life. Investing in communication skills is without a doubt the best thing one can do for personal development.
- When you effectively manage vision, you are managing the entire body.
- Volunteering will almost always give you back far more than you put in. When you give, the long-term return will continue to magnify.
- My life is not really about me – it’s almost entirely about the lives and people that I can impact and change.
- In order to serve people better, you need to make sure you fill your cup first. It’s the overflow that you will ultimately use to help others.